Ludwigshafen on the Rhine
City Profile / Needs
About the city
Ludwigshafen a. Rhein is a city that is evolving in a number of areas. It places great emphasis on digitalization and is working on a digital twin as a central part of its Smart City initiative. The city has several projects, including UVM Traffic Management with 53 intersections that have challenges communicating with the police. They are also active in urban logistics, municipal works and climate protection. Ludwigshafen a.R. has a strong municipal library with its own wiki and is also well positioned in the fire department. The city also has financial challenges, with a budget deficit of 1.7 billion euros. Funding is therefore of great importance.
Ongoing projects or areas / Existing funding sources.
- LoRaWAN is in place, but there is uncertainty about how it will be used.
- The city is interested in last mile urban logistics and the use of eTransporters.
- There are sensors in the urban areas.
- The city has a digital twin with a GIS map and also in digital form.
- The city library has an excellent reputation.
- The fire department is well positioned and has its own WIKI.
Most important challenges
- The city of Ludwigshafen a.R. faces the challenge of introducing new topics in an agile and efficient way.
- It is important to involve many stakeholders and gain their commitment.
- The city is looking for business models to implement digitization economically.
- There is a financial deficit, and funding is crucial.
- The city wants to build momentum and remain flexible.
Possible areas for collaboration (ideas)
- Promotion of green tech in Ludwigshafen
- Establishment of a business network
- Active participation in start-up life and promotion of adult education courses such as integration courses for mothers
- Digitizing administration for efficient and fast processing of building applications
- Scaling the digital twin
URL city website
About the person
Daniel Meyer is an industrial engineer with extensive experience in industry, especially SMEs. He also has experience in higher education. Prior to his current position as CDO in Ludwigshafen a.R., he was looking for a professional field of activity.
Daniel Meyer works in the city of Ludwigshafen a.R. and is responsible for the development and implementation of digital transformation projects as CDO (Chief Digital Officer).
Working (companies, cities, both, etc.)
Daniel Meyer works in the city of Ludwigshafen a.R.
Next meeting date:
The proposed date for the next meeting is October 31, 2023 from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm in Ludwigshafen.