Study assessing EU regions' readiness for climate change
Recent JRC research analysed regions in France, Germany, Italy, Poland, and Spain for their readiness to confront climate change. The study measured readiness by examining regions' focus on science, tech innovation, and policy towards addressing climate change. Key findings are:
- German and Italian regions emerged as most prepared, contrasting with Polish, French, and Spanish regions showing comparatively lower readiness.
- The study challenged traditional expectations, highlighting varied performance across European member states.
- Regions facing higher climate change risks, demonstrating greater innovation, and possessing skilled workforces were notably better prepared.
- The study underscores the need for tailored strategies acknowledging diverse regional realities to effectively mitigate climate change impacts.
- Policymakers need to be attentive to readiness differences among regions to foster collaborative efforts for a unified response to climate change.
Source of information: https://joint-research-centre.ec.europa.eu/jrc-news-and-updates/are-eu-regions-ready-tackle-climate-change-2023-12-05_en (Published 05 December 2023).