Environmental monitoring network promotes sustainable actions (Rivas)
Main issues must be clearly stated
The municipality of Rivas Vaciamadrid has 12 air quality and noise measuring stations, six fixed and six mobile, from the company Kunak Technologies. Since its implementation, this initiative has contributed to promote local public policies on sustainability and environmental quality.
Rivas Vaciamadrid, Community of Madrid, Spain .
Main facts/points outlined in body of text
- Rivas Vaciamadrid manages its environmental quality in parallel with the systems of the Community of Madrid. For the implementation of its municipal environmental monitoring network, 94,770 euros have been invested within the framework of the Sustainable and Integrated Urban Development Strategy (EDUSI), co-financed 50% by the ERDF fund and the city council.
- The fixed stations are distributed at strategic points: in the vicinity of schools such as the Ciudad Educativa Hipatia and the Mario Benedetti school or traffic areas such as the avenues of Provincias, Covibar, Provincias with Almendros and at the traffic circle at the access to the city on Avenida de Covibar (km 14 of the A-3).
- For their part, the mobile stations are mounted on top of the Local Police vehicles, have a front grille that sucks in the air to be analyzed and a rear grille that expels it, and have a special GPS antenna capable of georeferencing the position with maximum precision. Thus, they make it possible to obtain data from the entire municipality in order to achieve complete coverage of the urban fabric.
- For better mapping, the city has been divided into northern, central and southern sectors, to which the area of the San Anta industrial estate has been added. The pollutants recorded are nitrogen dioxide, sulfur dioxide, carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.
- The Kunak stations provide real-time information that can be consulted by municipal services via computer, tablet or cell phone. The first ones were activated in 2016, with a reinforcement in 2018. Since then, Kunak' s technology has advanced to the current Kunak AIR Pro and Kunak AIR Lite, as well as the Kunak AIR Cloud platform, which has improved its functionalities.
- If pre-established levels are exceeded in Rivas Vaciamadrid, a warning is issued to the responsible environmental personnel so that they can begin to articulate the measures contemplated for a pollution episode. When the terminals of the local network register an alteration of the parameters, a coordinated action with other administrations can also be launched.
- Likewise, the stations have provided key data when designing the new Low Emission Zones for schools to achieve healthier spaces and increase road safety in pedestrian travel. The municipality also activated its ZBE before January 1, 2023, as required by the Climate Change and Energy Transition Law.
- Likewise, atmospheric data were studied for the design and layout of the new 21-kilometer bike lane network and to decide where to reinforce the municipal service BicinRivas, with the opening of new parking lots.