Podcast Summary #48 Gata de Gorgos
Guest: Leticia Monfort Peiró, town councillor for European Funding, Innovation and Transparency for Gata de Gorgos, Spain
Date of recording: 21 September 2023
Find transcript here
Summaries of Key Takeaways:
- Balancing Tradition and Innovation: Efforts to modernize while preserving the town's traditional charm and identity.
- Sustainable Mobility Initiatives: Introduction of electric vehicle chargers and ambitions for expanded use of renewable energy.
- Challenges of Funding: Navigating financial limitations for implementing innovative projects due to dependency on external funding.
- Vision for the Future: Aiming to enhance energy efficiency and reduce car dependency, leveraging the town's abundant sunshine for solar energy.
- Engagement and Civic Participation: Encouraging community involvement in environmental and restoration activities.
“To you, what is a Smart City?”:
Leticia Monfort Peiró: “Smart city? A smart city is a clean city where everybody feels comfortable with everybody wants to come back to in a city that feels old and young at the same time.”
- Implement changes gradually to ensure they are well-received by the community.
"You introduce changes that are good for [the citizens], that will make their lives better, healthier, but that don't disturb their lives too much." - Leticia Montfort Perió
- Set a vision for your city that includes energy efficiency and sustainable practices
"I would like my town to be much more energy efficient. We have more than 360 days of sun, pure sun per year. So it's such a waste that we have to take our electricity from somewhere else." - Leticia Montfort Perió
- Maintain your city's cultural identity and traditions while embracing innovation
"A smart city is a clean city where everybody feels comfortable, a city that feels old and young at the same time. It has this very picturesque and lovely sense of identity." - Leticia Montfort Perió