New heating and cooling network of Districlima in Barcelona (3rd central)
08001 Barcelona, Spain
Main issues must be clearly stated
Barcelona City Council is committed to Districlima's heating and cooling network that serves the Forum area and 22@ as an essential player in the city that contributes to the energy transition and the reduction of emissions. Last week, work began on the construction of Districlima's third high-efficiency cooling plant, which will be located in the Poblenou neighborhood and will be buried underground.
This facility is moving forward with the first essential procedures and the Governing Committee has approved the executive projects for the seawater collection and the water return pipe of the future plant, the first actions necessary for the start of the works of the future plant.
This third plant of the Districlima network will be subway to minimize the impact on the neighborhood and the elements of the public space, and will have an investment of 44.4 million euros.
Location: of fact eg City / Reg on to be provided
El Fòrum, Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
El Poblenou, Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Main facts/points outlined in body of text
- The Districlima network avoids the emission of some 26,000 tons of CO2 into the atmosphere each year. This network has two operational plants, one located in the Fòrum area and the other in Tánger street. The implementation of these heating and cooling networks, with a long and extensive track record in central and northern Europe, enables buildings to be heated and cooled, in addition to meeting domestic hot water needs.
- The connection of new buildings to these networks is of climatic and environmental interest, since it is considered an advantageous alternative to other air conditioning systems. The city currently has the Districlima network, which serves the Forum and 22@ areas, and the Ecoenergies network, which operates in the Marina del Prat Vermell area, and the planned network in Sagrera.
- The third Districlima plant has an investment, for the first phase, of 44.4 million euros, and will be located in the Poblenou neighborhood. The new facility, which will begin construction in 2024 and be operational in 2025, will enable the number of buildings connected to this technology to be increased by a hundred, from the current 167 buildings to more than 240 by 2032.
- It is estimated that the heated surface area will increase from the current 1,500,000 m2 to 2,496,494 m2. The new plant will increase the installed cooling capacity from 69 MWf to 97 MWf.
- It is estimated that it will save the emission of 26,000 tons of CO2 into the atmosphere each year, equivalent to taking 36,300 vehicles off the road. The objective of the commissioning of the plant is tosave 417,276 tons of CO2 during the period 2021-2032.
- These works will start by demolishing the Poblenou Neighborhood Green Point located in Carmen Amaya street. The Green Point will be temporarily relocated a short distance from the current one outside the scope of the works, at the intersection of Passeig de Calvell and Passeig de la Llacuna. This provisional facility will be in operation until the new Poblenou Neighborhood Green Point, which will be definitively located in the Plaza de Julio González, enters into service.