Digizity conducts tests with an efficient smart bus carrying passengers
Main issues must be clearly stated
The Digizity R&D initiative, part of the Strategic Project for the Recovery and Economic Transformation of the Electric and Connected Vehicle(PERTE VEC), has started its second phase, which includes the launch of its smart, connected and efficient bus with passengers in Zaragoza.
Zaragoza , Aragon, Spain
Main facts/points outlined in body of text
- Digizity was born with the aim of automating, decarbonizing and digitizing urban transport with a smart, connected and efficient bus. The project, led by Avanza, has the participation of the companies Irizar, Jema, Hispacold, Telnet and Idneo; the technology centers Itainnova (Aragon), CTAG (Galicia) and Tecnalia (Basque Country); and the consultancy Novadays.
- After the tests carried out in the Zaragoza Relevant Environment (ERZ) in the first phase, during the months of March and April the necessary adjustments and developments were carried out for the operation of the on-board systems and the latest generation communications (5G and Wifi 6.0) that integrates the 12-meter-long ie tram bus manufactured by Irizar.
- Among the main new features incorporated in recent months is the on-board guidance system that allows automating the lateral control of driving. In this way, the vehicle can autonomously perform steering control, approach to stop and lane keeping. This is a step forward in the automation of the operation, since in the first phase it only allowed acceleration and braking.
- Since last November 17, it has been possible to travel free of charge in this intelligent, connected and efficient vehicle that has been put into operation on Zaragoza line 40. The service is available from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, subject to prior reservation through digizity.es.
- The project has been financed by the European Next Generation funds through the 2021 call of the Sustainable Automotive Technology Program. The total budget amounts to more than 9 million euros and its duration extends until December 31.