Belgian Presidency of EU Council Prioritizes Green and Just Transition
Belgium has assumed the presidency of the Council of the European Union (EU) from 1st January to 30th June 2024. During this period, Belgium will focus on six thematic areas, with a key emphasis on a green and just transition towards a climate-neutral society. In this context, the Belgian Presidency will:
- Analyse the current European framework’s effectiveness in planning, building, and funding infrastructures, including CO2 transport;
- Promote credible certification system and market platforms for hydrogen and collaborate with the European Commission to explore the prospects of a potential EU hydrogen import strategy;
- Close interinstitutional negotiations on the proposals for a Union certification framework for carbon removals and Net-Zero Industry Act;
- Support the debate on the EU climate target for 2040 and the Industrial Carbon Management strategy;
- Explore the untapped potential of the bioeconomy, circular manufacturing and materials, hydrogen and CCUS as integral components of a sustainable net-zero European industry.
Source of information: https://www.globalccsinstitute.com/news-media/latest-news/belgian-presidency-of-the-council-of-the-eu-focuses-on-the-green-and-just-transition-as-a-key-action-area-and-will-work-to-explore-further-the-potential-of-ccus/ (Published 5 January 2024).