Challenge / Goal
BTC City Ljubljana is one of the largest business, shopping, entertainment, recreation and cultural centers in Europe. It extends to 475,000 square meters, including 56 facilities and combines not only commercial, logistic and recreational facilities, but also extensive road and energy infrastructure. The operation of such large facilities required massive energy consumption, which accounts for approximately 10% of the total company expenses.
Energy consumption: Total energy consumption: 60 mio kWh / year;
Main energy consumers: Lighting (43%), cooling (20%) ventilation (26%)
For the BTC City the introduction of efficient energy management solution became not just an economic necessity, but a strategical business decision, which contributed to an innovative business model based on social and environmental responsibility. To optimize this enormous use of energy, Solvera Lynx offered an innovative solution for smart energy management (EM) based on wireless LoRaWAN technology. This technology was a better alternative than the classical wired networks due to its long range, unique penetration capabilities, flexibility, easy operation & maintenance, and safe & reliable data transfer.
The solutions included the following steps:
- Energy consumption monitoring (electricity, heat, natural gas, water);
- Energy efficiency analysis: key energy KPIs indication and control over electrical energy production;
- Targeted energy performance analyses: targeting energy consumption quantities and costs, especially focusing on the energy consumption of heating and cooling technologies;
- Reduction of energy losses and water leakages;
- Implementation of an alarm system in case of consumption or cost deviations;
- Energy accounting: energy accounting system implementation, building energy consumption benchmarking and analyses of energy costs.
Want to learn more about the lessons learned, financial details and results?