Challenge / Goal
Druzhba is one of the entrances to the city centre with high volumes of traffic. This district is currently affected by high traffic volumes, and public space has deteriorated greatly due to the high number of cars parked on the streets occupying various public areas.
The ultimate goal of the measure is to promote a modal shift towards public transport, and other active modes of mobility, by reducing the needs (of commuters and other users) to individually occupy cars for their regular trips to the city centre. The development of a Park & Ride facility will allow easy connection with public transport services and will relieve road congestion along the routes regularly taken from Druzhba to the city centre. The measure will also help reduce the number of cars parked on the streets and public spaces in the city centre.
During the research and planning phase, a survey was carried out to help map out the mobility habits in the three neighbourhoods forming the Druzhba district. After processing the results, the Municipality identified the potential sites for locating the Park & Ride facilities, and the technical specifications for the realisation of the Park & Ride system were developed. A contractor has been chosen, following a selection procedure.
Implementation of this measure includes the following steps:
- Selection of a suitable location for the Park & Ride station
- Design of the parking lot (41 parking spaces, including eight for disabled people)
- A connection of the parking area with public transport services (trolley bus and/or bus services)
- Development and implementation of the Park & Ride system
- Promotion and dissemination of the new service to potential users
Want to learn more about the lessons learned, financial details and results?