The location Pixel Plein at Strijp-S in Eindhoven (green grass square between Bosch, Broeinest and the Ontdekfabriek) has got a Lab functionality and was a testing ground in a two week experiment. General challenge was the fictitious development of this green square, building together a virtual City Village. There has been active approach of participants to join this project. At the end the outcomes of these design workshops was translated into sketch designs. The test case is completed and the outcome was shown during the Dutch Design Week 2017 in Eindhoven and can be viewed locally with an Oculus Rift or other type of 3D Virtual glasses and at the website.
It is interesting to see that in other areas this process has made already further progress. The theory behind Co-creation, Service Design and Design thinking has been strongly developed in recent years and we can learn from the way it is applied.In this project we described 5 Phases in the process and did research, designed or experimented with either of these;
1. Placing a Marker and launching a website Placing a clear "sign" at the site with the aim of making the "public" curious, it is a focal point of attention, it heralds the "open" process of design. The display is interactive and invites to respond, provides information and is linked to a website, an interactive environment where "discussions" can take place and "posts" could be placed
The website is informative, an interactive gathering place for comments, upload bookmarks good examples and ideas.
The “Marker” itself should be controlled via touchscreen, Kinect or via smartphone with an app (to decide after research). The option is to fill in the Marker location as a small festival area with tables, benches, lighting e.e.a. dependent on this is necessary and how far we are in the process.
2. active approach of participants in an analog and digital way.
3. Participatory Design. From these groups we propose to discuss the challenge together, generating ideas and shaping them further in some designs. The process takes place in a number of separate sessions. The workshop, brainstorming sessions are supported with software and hardware tailored to visual means. We use the tools of the Design / Decision cream, interactive screens that played well is put firmly the process Many workshops are intriguing pursuits but the process and the potential outcomes part disappear, they are not recorded in a proper manner. At the workshops, and / or hackathon a temporarily pavilion is hired as an extension of the marker. Aware is chosen for hiring these types of resources to respond flexibly.
4. Show, VR Translation of the sketch designs into a VR environment, the option is to use it also in a 3D game, made visible to the general public on site using simple 3D VR glasses but also be seen on the website and on the marker. To Show the process of the establishment of the various designs what has been recorded during the workshops. This can be stimulating and informative.
5. The Solution The design space will be turned into a decision room. Different designs are displayed virtually on the website and on location, the vote will take place virtual and real, the pros and cons are discussed Subsequently it is tested, and a prototype of the design is performed.
In Live Lab we focus on developing "smart" tools to improve participation in the design and decision-making process of the living environment. Experimenting with Participatory design in Public Space is a new concept and so far it remains limited to a few successful examples.