The model project in Bad Hersfeld was chosen as the winner of this year's "Smart 50 Awards" in the USA from a large selection of applicants worldwide - as just one of two European projects. From Bad Hersfeld's point of view, the "Light as a Service" pilot project has also fully met and largely exceeded the expectations of the project participants and the town's politicians.
- The intended energy consumption and CO2 savings have been fully achieved and have been further enhanced by the dynamic lighting control system.
o By using the latest generation of luminaires, energy savings of 77% on average were achieved within the project compared to the actual situation. These values could be increased to 91% in certain situations with the use of dynamic control!
o The reduction in consumption amounts to around 65,000 kWh per year for the 154 luminaires used in the project.
o The CO2 reduction amounts to around 27 tons per year.
- The dynamic-adaptive street lighting can be adapted to individual luminaires and groups at any time without major maintenance effort, for example to changes in traffic volumes, weather conditions, detour situations or special events.
- The sensor-based detection of wet road conditions leads to considerable additional energy savings and reduced glare by lowering the dimming level of the streetlights.
- Road safety is ensured. This also applies if more warm white color temperatures and stronger dimming are implemented at night to reduce light pollution effects (by changing the light cone) and to increase insect friendliness.
- The model project offers better fault analysis and increased system availability. The time it takes for defects to become apparent and for maintenance to take effect is shortened.