Challenge / Goal
Energy is responsible for 60% of CO2 emissions on a global scale. Sapiens Energía is a Renewable Energy Community (REC) that aims to create a network of local energy communities, to drive the transition to clean technologies. An energy community is a new model of energy generation, use, and management, that involves cooperation among citizens, public administrators and SMEs, to contribute to creating a decentralised, fair, efficient and collaborative energy system based on the active participation of users. In this model, citizens and business owners are the owners of the solar energy installations, which satisfies the goal of putting energy in the hands of the people.
Sapiens Energía is a pioneer in Spain in the implementation and management of renewable energy communities, and currently oversees several projects under development in the Valencian Community, with an innovative model that seeks to generate positive impacts on the social and environmental surroundings and facilitate access to energy for all.
The steps taken to form and manage the energy communities include:
- Initial project design with strategic partners
- Administrative procedures
- Co-creation procedures for the configuration of the energy community: information, training, stakeholder participation to define structure, organisation, rules of operation and governance
- Construction and installation of the solar energy production technologies
- Solar energy production and maintenance
Want to learn more about the lessons learned, financial details and results?