Challenge / Goal
The city council of Ciudad Real identified both a need and an opportunity to support SMEs and start-ups in their adaptation and transition to the circular economy. This identified need was further backed up by existing EU, National and Regional Circular Economy Strategies.
The city’s economic development department (IMPEFE) observed that sustainability and circularity is not strongly reflected in the business models of many of the city’s start-ups and SMEs. This absence of sustainable content prevents the city from generating social and environmental value.
The main objective of the guide is to raise awareness, motivate and promote sustainability, with a circular approach, to entrepreneurs and small businesses in the municipality of Ciudad Real, while transferring the competitive advantages and added value of sustainability to their business models.
The city wanted to test the effectiveness of a circular economy guide for SMEs in raising awareness amongst entrepreneurs about climate change and the problems associated with the current linear economy. They also wanted to test its effectiveness in supporting businesses to introduce improvements and savings derived from applying environmental management systems of a circular nature.
The action intended to:
- Promote a sustainable and circular focus amongst entrepreneurs
- Focus on sustainable innovation as an opportunity in the entrepreneurial ecosystem of Ciudad Real
- Build solutions with sustainable and social impact
- Mitigate the environmental footprint of business and contribute tackling climate change
- Create a culture of corporate social responsibility aligned with the SDGs
The non-profit organisation of entrepreneurship APROFEM developed the guide and additional introductory webinar.
Want to learn more about the lessons learned, financial details and results?