Challenge / Goal
Milan will address deep energy retrofit of the residential building stock, both public and private, saving the 60% of energy consumption through tailoured technology packages. This will include:
- Integration of low-carbon energy sources
- Physical modernisation
- Digital controls
- Comfort monitoring
New approaches of co-design processes and citizen engagement paths will be developed through the digital availability of consumption and environmental data, collected by innovative monitoring systems. Interventions aim to save up to 60-70% of energy consumption and improve comfort inside dwellings.
Public Building: refurbishment of 5,000 square meters of public residential building with PV panels, heat pumps and comfort monitoring system (max estimated energy consumption savings of 60%).
Private Building: retrofit of more than 24,000 square meters of multi-property residential buildings integrated with sensors for monitoring and managing energy consumption (max estimated energy consumption saving of 70%).
The activities involved the following phases:
- 55 condominium candidate to call for interest
- 20 condominiums attended the co-design process
- June 2017 - end of co-design process
- September 2018 - 5 condominiums approved retrofitting (24,298 square meters)
- December 2018 - 4 condominiums retrofitted (15,500 square meters), 1 ongoing (finished by June 2019)
The co-design processes consisted of different steps and meetings:
- Introduction – all condos participate together and discuss the expectations of improvement after retrofitting interventions
- Technical Analysis - condominiums work with technicians who make diagnosis of building and explain the possible results of retrofitting
- Sharing Scenarios - technicians present different scenarios (costs and cash flows)
- Extra Meeting - the chosen scenario is presented to the single condominium and deepened in specific meetings
Want to learn more about the lessons learned, financial details and results?