Challenge / Goal
The public transport service connecting the peripheral district Druzhba with the centre of Ruse and its industrial zones (around the city centre) is rather slow and unreliable. A large share of the people living in the peripheral districts, like Druzhba, use their own cars or taxi services to travel to the city centre or to work.
This measure implemented by the City of Ruse aimed to create a new transport system in order to provide demand-oriented, fast, regular and reliable public transport services to and from the city centre to the district of Druzhba in the medium term, and to collect relevant data about Public Transport demand in the short term.
Implementation of the measure involves redefining and reorganizing public transport lines (trolleybus and bus), in order to improve the balance between demand and supply of public transport services. The analysis of public transport demand provides data for passenger flows and enables local transport planners to establish a new transport scheme for the targeted area with appropriate timetables in order to meet the needs of more passengers. Finally, the new transport scheme will be promoted.
Activities carried out so far - mostly during the research and planning phase:
- Planning and research activities for the reorganizing the public transport lines concerned.
- Meetings with experts in the field.
- Development of technical specifications.
- Following a process of public procurement (launched in August 2017), Ruse contracted an external company to update the Municipal Transport Scheme. The contract has a maximum of 12 months to deliver the final results of the service, including:
- Collection and analysis of baseline information on the current state of play
- Preparation of an updated transport scheme for Ruse
- Organizing and conducting discussions with relevant stakeholders and public discussion of the proposal for updating the transport scheme
- Information about the measure and its promotion to various stakeholders, and the general public, is being undertaken via the Information, Training and Awareness Raising measure Ruse is implementing in parallel to this one.
Want to learn more about the lessons learned, financial details and results?