Future intelligent traffic management system to reduce traffic jams, etc.
Main issues must be clearly stated
The Murcia City Council is implementing the project for the modernization of the traffic management infrastructure and the modernization of the measurement and control systems with an investment of 6.6 million euros.
The new intelligent traffic management system will make it possible to reduce traffic jams and pollutant emissions from vehicles circulating in the city.
Location: of fact eg City / Reg on to be provided
Murcia, Region of Murcia, Spain
Main facts/points outlined in body of text
- Murcia will be equipped with an innovative system to convert traffic light junctions into high-capacity communications nodes for processing and transferring and exchanging data in real time.
- The project, which is already underway in neighborhoods such as Infante Juan Manuel and is part of the municipal smart city strategy, will involve the complete renovation of all existing installations at 543 intersections throughout the city.
- In total, 854 state-of-the-art cameras will be placed to provide real-time information on vehicles, pedestrians, bicycles and environmental indices. More than 70,000 meters of cabling and 160 new traffic control cabinets will also be installed.
- The main objectives are to improve traffic control and management equipment and communications, as well as the tools used for decision-making in the area of mobility.
- The new cameras will provide real-time information on variables related to the speed of vehicles circulating on a street, traffic intensity, queue lengths, lane saturation, detection of cars obstructing the road, undue parking in lanes that impede traffic flow and the location of stopped or double-parked vehicles.
- The Traffic Room will be the center that will receive all the data for the adoption of immediate measures that will contribute to a more fluid circulation and to adapt the urban network to the needs of the citizens.
- This project will allow Murcia to have the appropriate technological base for the deployment of services and technologies corresponding to the new mobility models, measure all the parameters and obtain the necessary data to know the demand of the users of the urban network and optimize decision making.