BilboEner will develop energy efficiency and renewable generation projects.
Main issues must be clearly stated
The Bilbao City Council and the Basque Energy Agency (EVE) have presented the BilboEner brand with the aim of promoting and developing energy efficiency and renewable generation projects.
It will be the organization in charge of promoting singular projects with the stakeholders that best contribute to take steps in favor of energy efficiency and sustainability, providing criteria to society in values related to energy and contributing to the fulfillment of the objectives of the energy action plans, also through public-private collaboration.
Bilbao, Bizkaia, Basque Country, Spain.
Main facts/points outlined in body of text
- BilboEner is within the framework of Bilbao's energy transition strategy and the Euskadi 2030 energy strategy to contribute to the achievement of the objectives defined therein.
- BilboEner already has one person in the management and another in the maintenance of the facilities who will be responsible for coordinating and monitoring energy efficiency in Bilbao in a cross-cutting manner. It will also participate in the Commission for Energy Sustainability, which has already held the first meeting of the mandate and in which all areas of the city council involved in the matter.
- Thus, it will focus its work both within the municipal organization, integrating energy awareness and helping in the training of the staff of the different areas, and outside the city council. It will do so by analyzing new energy solutions, testing energy efficiency models and plans of other representative European cities, establishing sustainable alliances and implementing, where appropriate, different energy solutions always aligned with the interests of the Consistory of Bilbao and EVE.
- BilboEner will be a strategic piece within the Energy Action Plan (PAE) being finalized by the Bilbao City Council. It is a plan prepared in accordance with the Basque Energy Sustainability Law 4/2019. BilboEner's role will be tractor, coordinator and transversal within the Energy Sustainability Commission (CSE).
- The aforementioned law sets clear objectives with respect to energy efficiency in local administrations, first of all, the reduction of at least 35% of energy consumption by 2030. Another of the law's objectives is the renewable generation of 32% of their electricity and heat consumption.
- With regard to renewable generation, in order to meet the energy efficiency targets, Bilbao's PAE contemplates three strategic lines: electricity generation plants, thermal generation in municipal buildings and photovoltaic electricity generation on the roofs of municipal buildings . In order to address the reduction of consumption and new renewable production, both issues raised and required by law, the PAE establishes budget estimates of around 180 million euros until 2030 .