Challenge / Goal
The SIMmobil is a mobile information and communication laboratory under the Smarter Together project in Vienna. It provides a platform for interaction with local inhabitants, co-operation with project partners, institutional partners and stakeholders and enables reach out and share project information. The SIMmobil helps promote Vienna's concept of participatory Smart City, as a platform for project identification, on-site surveying, facilitating workshops for kids and gamification.
As follows is the main implementation process.
- identification of key institutional partner and formal co-operation agreement (during project preparation phase)
- in deep socio-economic analysis of the district and project area (during project preparation phase)
- feasibility study, design and branding (SIMmobile = Simmering, Mobil) of mobile Urban Living Lab (early project phase)
- market research on which kind of mobile to purchase
- identification of end-of-lifetime trailer to be purchased and purchase
- redesign of the trailer
- elaboration of an implementation plan (early project phase)
- implementation of the ULL (project implementation phase Sept. 2016-winter 2018).
Citizens were at the core of all activities ranging from outreach, information, participation to co-creation. Different partner institutions were invited to use the SIMmobile as their outreach platform. Workshops for kids were held by the Science Pool and a new "Energy Quiz" was developed together with the "Umweltberatung" and used for interaction with kids and adults. Major events were held in front of the SIMmobile. The SIMmobile also served as a platform for surveying general public or targeted public such as pupils from a school before its refurbishment.
Want to learn more about the lessons learned, financial details and results?Log in
Planning time: < 0.5 years
Implementation time: < 0.5 years
Citizens, local NGOs and institutions for outreach
Facilitating citizen engagement
Enhanced data collection