Challenge / Goal
The building in Lorystraße 54-60 was built from 1964-66 and since that only maintenance works were done. Hence, the thermal refurbishment was the first broad intervention since more than 50 years.
Refurbishment and modernisation of energy supply
Lorystraße 54-60 (95 flats, 8.800 m²) is a city-owned social housing block, managed by Wiener Wohnen. The following technical improvements were planned:
▪ refurbishment of the building envelope from 125 to 52 kWh/m2 for space heating and warm water
▪ efficiency improvements to energy supply
▪ installation of PV plants of 7 kWp on the roof
▪ preparation of the parking garage for e-mobility
▪ ICT-based central management and monitoring of all buildings supplied by distance heating in the district
Therefore, a wide range of measures were necessary to adapt the building to nowadays standard.
▪ The refurbishment of the façade (exchange of windows, heat insulation), the roof and the basement ceiling reduce the calculated heat energy performance (HEP) from 125 kWh/m² to 52 kWh/m².
▪ The fire safety of the building is increased by a pressure aeration in all four staircases and doors in higher fire protection class to flats and community facilities (laundries, cellars, etc.).
▪ The modernisation/renewal of building equipment (elevators, plumping) increase energy performance and safety.
▪ The installation of a roofed waste collection place and an Intercom increase comfort for the tenants.
These standard measures, mainly concerning the reduction of the heat energy demand and the upgrade of the fire safety, were combined with additional measures dealing with the integration of renewable energy.
▪ The implementation of a 7 kWp PV-System at the roof
▪ The connection of additional flats to the DH
▪ Preparations for a future charging infrastructure for e-Cars and e-Bike
The construction works at Lorystraße 54-60 started in May 2018 with the erection of the scaffold and dismantling works (balconies, building equipment). In August 2018 refurbishment started with façade works (exchange of windows, installation of heat insulation), the insulation of the basement ceiling and works at the roof.
Citizen engagement and improvement of the neighbourhood plays an important role in the project.
▪ Wiener Wohnen as building owner together with the municipal department for architecture and city design worked out three different colour concepts for the façade. The tenants voted their favourite concept and decided upon it.
▪ Planned improvements in the park vis á vis Lorystraße 54-60 should developed together with the tenants
Want to learn more about the lessons learned, financial details and results?Log in
Implementation Time: 0.5 - 1 years
Wiener Wohnen, Wohnpartner
Tenants (263 Inhabitants in 95 flats)
Decreasing energy consumption in buildings
Reducing energy bills
Increasing share of renewables
Improving life quality