Challenge / Goal
Milan will address deep energy retrofit of the residential building stock, both public and private, saving the 60% of energy consumption through tailored technology packages, including: integration of low-carbon energy sources; physical modernization; digital controls; comfort monitoring. New approaches as co-design process and citizen engagement paths, will be developed through the digital availability of consumption and environmental data, collected by innovative monitoring systems. Interventions aim to save until 60-70% energy consumption and improve comfort inside dwelling.
Public Building: refurbishment of 5.000 smq public residential building with PV, heat pump and comfort monitoring system. Max estimated energy consumption savings 60%.
Private Building:retrofit of more than 24.000 smq of multi-property residential buildings integrated with sensors for monitoring and managing energy consumption (max estimated energy consumption saving 70%).
The activities took following phases:
- 55 condominium candidate to Call for Interest;
- 20 condominium attended co-design process;
- June 2017: end of co-design process;
- September 2018: 5 condominium approved retrofitting (24.298 smq);
- December 2018: 4 condominium retrofitted (15.500 smq), 1 ongoing (end by June 2019).
The co-design processes consist of different steps and meetings:
- INTRODUCTION – all condos participate together and discuss the expectations of improvement after retrofitting interventions;
- TECHNICAL ANALYSIS - condominiums work with technicians who make diagnosis of building and explain the possible results of retrofitting;
- SHARING SCENARIOS - technicians present different scenarios (costs and cash flows);
- EXTRA MEETING - the chosen scenario is presented to the single condominium and deepened in specific meetings:
Want to learn more about the lessons learned, financial details and results?Log in
Planing Time: 0.5 - 1 years
Implementation Time: 2 - 5 years
RETROFIT: Gemeinde Mailand, Teicos, Future Energy, Politecnico di Milano (Department of Energy). KO-DESIGN: Politecnico di Milano (Abteilung für Architektur und Stadtforschung), Poliedra, Legambiente, Teicos.
Decreasing energy consumption in buildings
Reducing energy bills
Improving life quality
Promoting sustainable behavior