Challenge / Goal
Objectives of the project were:
- The Electric Vehicle Office in the city plays a key role to manage and support the deployment of electro-mobility in Valladolid. It acts as a catalyser.
- Selecting the location of each charging point requires a deep analysis of variables such as physical barriers, demand in the near area, distance between other points, etc. It is also important to consider other private operators in the area that also cover the demand.
- The charging points and the whole mobility infrastructure are monitored to obtain the main variables of the sustainable mobility in the city.
- The deployment of new charging infrastructure have to suit with other variables from the demand side, like economic, social and technical variables.
- Thanks to the use of a mobile application, the City Council facilitates the use of the infrastructure to users outside of Valladolid (for example tourists). The application developed by IBERDROLA is easy to use, downloadable for users of Apple and Android phones and allows the payment of the use of the infrastructure at a competitive price.
The solution was execute in two phases:
Phase 1 entailed:
- The adaptation and installation of new points to the current state of the technology, including:
- Two ultra-fast charging points for PHEV buses, located at the head and tail of line 7
- One fast EV charging station to serve taxis and commercial vehicles
- Four EV charging points (22kW) devoted texclusively to electric taxis.
- Monitoring of the charging infrastructures to provide information to the project
Phase 2 included:
- The testing of business models with payment platforms, car sharing, etc.
In the second phase the charging system was changed from a free model to a paid one. A public recharge app was developed to facilitate the recharging process. The users can find charging points, put money on their virtual wallet, make a reservation and start the charging process. All these actions were carried out through the Electric Vehicle Office.
The charging points were placed in selected stops along the city with similar models to the ones proposed for private users.
Want to learn more about the lessons learned, financial details and results?Log in
Planing Time: 0.5 - 1 years
Implementation Time: 1 - 2 years
Valladolid Council UE, IBERDROLA and the Municipality Local SMEs
IBERDROLA CLIENTES and Valladolid Council
Citizens, Taxis, Last-Mile transportation, Municipal fleet and buses