Challenge / Goal
The existing pedestrian crossings in the peripheral district of Druzhba, in Ruse, are not secure enough and present a high risk for accidents, leading to injuries and fatalities. Most people with disabilities avoid walking on streets, in general, or around the city due to the lack of basic infrastructure.
The longer-term aim of this measure is to reduce the number of road accidents involving pedestrians and to make walking a safer and more desirable way of travelling in the district and the city. The shorter-term goal is to build safe infrastructure for pedestrians, including people with disabilities.
This measure analyses the crosswalks in the peripheral neighborhood and secures them with LEDs, raised paths, etc. Additionally, cameras for video surveillance will be installed at junctions in the district.
The following activities have been implemented during the measure’s research and planning phase:
- Planning and research activities on innovative solutions for securing pedestrian crossings.
- Meetings with experts in the field.
- Analysis of the crossings available in the district and research into best practice for improved designs with safety and security in mind.
- Identifying the best locations for implementation of the new pedestrian crossings – close to focal points of pedestrian traffic – shopping areas, schools, main roads and streets leading to the city centre.
- Dissemination of the measure idea in order to appraise citizens’ reaction.
- Development of technical specifications.
Ruse Municipality has performed a contract selection procedure (launched in April 2018) and has signed a contract for designing secure pedestrian crossings. After the design is ready, Ruse Municipality contract the necessary construction works. Ruse Municipality will construct at least two innovative, secure, pedestrian crossings as pilots in Druzhba.
Ruse has collected feedback from people living in the district during meetings and through the Mayor’s social media channels. The information received was taken into consideration when choosing the exact spots for positioning the new crosswalks.
Want to learn more about the lessons learned, financial details and results?Log in
Implementation Time: < 0.5 years
Municipality of Ruse, Club “Sustainable Development of Civil Society”
Fußgänger, einschließlich Menschen mit Behinderungen.
Improving public transport accessibility
Promoting active living