App&Town Compagnon is the System which improves mobility, inclusion and quality of life of people with disabilities and senior citizens.
Why was App&Town Compagnon used in Barcelona?
The advances in geolocation technologies and the rise of mobile devices have induced the development of technological solutions that help in transport. These solutions, however, are not designed for people who require assistance due to:
· Lack of precision: their guidance systems are based on predefined milestones within the provided route. When the user arrives to the milestone, an instruction is given. However, if the user never reaches it, the system provides a new route, causing possible confusion and disorientation.
· Lack of accessibility: interfaces and applications are developed without considering the accessibility requirements or the needs of people with disabilities.
· Lack of assistance: trip planners do not provide assistance, leaving the user unattended and not offering support if required.
App&Town Compagnon comprises:
1. Control Panel based on a Web App hosted in the cloud, which is used to plan and customize the routes of the users, as well as to monitor the trip, receive alerts and assist the user before any incident.
2. A mobile application with a universal design that provides users with high precision guidance during their travels, when walking, when using public transport and when accessing indoor facilities.
App&Town Compagnon roles:
• User: people with disabilities or reduced mobility, extendable to users who require help.
• Assistants: relatives and caregivers who can plan routes and monitor the trip.
• Operators: watching the user's journey, as well as provide remote assistance in case of incident.
• Helpers: people who are part of the Collaborative Angels Network to provide enroute assistance.
App&Town Compagnon meets the following four characteristics:
• Provides personalized route planning.
• Offers high-precision guidance and navigation.
• Ensures user safety through remote monitoring and assistance.
• Maximizes the accessibility of the system for people with any kind of dysfunctions.