Challenge / Goal
The building in Herbortgasse 43 is a small-size housing block with 52 flats (3.800 m²), owned and managed by ‘Wiener Wohnen’, the city-owned social housing operator. It was built in 1929 and is under cultural heritage protection. Therefore, the refurbishment is more challenging and expensive. Furthermore, an attic conversion with 8 additional flats was part of the project. The refurbishment ensures energy savings and CO2 emission reductions as well as additional improvements to make the buildings fit for the future.
A wide range of measures was necessary to adapt the building to nowadays standard.
▪ The refurbishment of the façade (exchange of windows, heat insulation), the roof and the basement ceiling reduce the calculated heat energy performance (HEP) from 155 kWh/m² to 61kWh/m².
▪ efficiency improvements to energy supply, e.g. reduction of district heating temperature in Herbortgasse serviced from the return flow, a first of its kind demonstration, that could become a model for a large number of buildings all over Vienna;
▪ ICT-based central management and monitoring of all buildings supplied by distance heating in the district;
▪ redensification by construction of additional flats on top of Herbortgasse (8 flats, 600 m², not included in the BEST table).
▪ The fire safety of the building is increased by a fire smoke aeration in all four staircases and new doors in higher fire protection class to flats and community facilities (laundries, cellars, etc.).
▪ Four elevators (one in each staircase) are installed
▪ The installation of a roofed waste collection place, a bicycle garage and a new intercom system increase comfort for the tenants.
These standard measures, mainly concerning the reduction of the heat energy demand and the upgrade of the fire safety, were combined with additional measures dealing with the integration of renewable energy.
▪ The connection of additional flats to the DH
Want to learn more about the lessons learned, financial details and results?
Implementation Time: 0.5 - 1 years
Wiener Wohnen, Wohnpartner
Decreasing energy consumption in buildings,
Reducing energy bills,
Improving life quality,